Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Guitar and a Song

In my own pursuit of the mysteries of how to play music well I have had many mentors and teachers. It seems that I always find someone who can help me take it to the next stage or level. In this blog I hope to discuss some of these generous people who have helped me escape my frustrations and discover the satisfactions that I sought. I did not enjoy the advantages of a formal musical education in an institution. Instead I learned from the pros.

I've loved songs and singing since I was a year or two old, whether in the living room, on the radio or elsewhere. I still recall standing in the pew beside my mother as she sweetly added to the choral harmony in our family church in Northern Ontario. She had a nice voice and loved singing...and bright eyes. I had just learned to stand and I was proud to stand up beside her in church [whatever that was!?], though my standing awkwardly beside her did seem to cause a little distress for Pauline. I watched her posture and the movement of her mouth and eyes as she glanced smiling over her shoulder at me and reached out a hand to keep me from toppling.

Pauline also helped me love to sing country songs and popular songs as we danced around the radio through a childhood lifetime. I always wanted to play guitar and just believed in my heart that I would and could some day play as I imagined in my daydreams. I could see my fingers gliding across the strings and heard sweet tones rising from the sound box. I thought I could really learn to play and help others sing songs as I had been helped by parents, brothers, neighbours, teachers and several choirs masters with whom I worked. I could never afford a guitar as a child.

After my first year of university and at the age of twenty-one when I started playing guitar I was driving a truck for a summer job in London, Ontario. There I met a very interesting young man who was about five years my senior. He was full of life and excitement and good cheer and he was kind to me even though I was a beginning musician and he was fairly accomplished. He wore a big cowboy hat and was politely boisterous in his speech...and he was funny. This alone surprised me about Bob Webb, but there was far more to his kindness than I could have dreamed.

Bob invited me to come out to the club where he was playing that week and see his show...maybe hang out a bit. It turned out to be one of those fairly swank clubs with a cocktail vibe, low lights and an elevated stage where Bob played solo – a man with a guitar and lots of songs to sing. He played so well that I was astonished and he knew SO many songs cold that I was flabbergasted.

His shtick and act also gained the rapt interest of many beautiful women who huddled around him between sets vying for his laughing attention. I was AWE STRUCK by this man. I had never met anyone who played so well, lived so deeply and was still respectful, kind and helpful. Many musicians I'd met of his calibre were arrogant, rude and generally disappointing as human beings. [Perhaps I'd never met anyone of that calibre. lol]

It got better. Bob left the bevy of giggling beauties to their drinks and gossip and walked across the darkened room to join me at his table. “That was AMAZING!” I told him. “Thanks!” [ah shucks] “How did you learn to play so many songs that well?” It was a professional question. “Oh it's easy.” he said. “All you've got to do is play a song a thousand times in a field and you'll know it real well.” “Oh!” says I.

“But how can I learn to play good like that?” I asked despairingly. “Don't worry. That's easy too. Every time you meet someone who plays well, ask them to teach you one thing. Then practice the shit out of it until it's natural and becomes part of your playing.” “Gee thanks Bob.” I meant it and took his instructions to heart. I was hungry to learn.

“What kind of guitar are you playing there Bob?" I asked. “This here is a Martin D-28, made by the C.F. Martin Company in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.” “Is that a guitar you would recommend to me?” “I sure would. I've never had any reason to complain about this beauty and she has brought me lots of pleasure.” he said nodding back at the tipsy group of sweet femininity at the end of the bar where his drink still waited for his return.

“Also you might consider the Martin D-35, which has a more rich bass tone and a more balanced volume across the tonal spectrum. My '28' is a little weak on the bass end but good for bluegrass picking.” “Okay.” I said, not quite sure what the heck he meant about “tone”. “Thanks for all of this.” “You're welcome. See you again soon.” And he did see me many more times, true to his word. “I better go attend to my fans.” he smiled as he ambled sidelong across the carpeted floor and into the arms of angels...Honky Tonk Angels.

I learned at least three big and important lessons that evening: how to learn songs; how to learn to play guitar well; and how to evaluate a guitar. BTW I bought myself a Martin D-35 a couple weeks later for my birthday when my tax return arrived. I've NEVER regretted it...not even once. That old guitar and I have become one.

These music lessons from a competent professional have brought me endless pleasure and have helped me share my song with the world. I have practiced them faithfully every day since and the results show. :)

Thanks Bob!


Post script – In the Fall of that year when I was back in school I heard on the radio that Bob Webb had won Canadian Entertainer of the Year Award. I thought he deserved it. So did those beauty queens and many others. Music goes down so much better with kindness and generosity. :)




Jake Willis Music – Daily Blog
February 10, 2009
Guelph, Ontario, Canada

No comments: