Friday, February 6, 2009

Shameless Self Promotion

Shameless self promotion is a theme I hear discussed frequently by musicians and songwriters. In many cases it seems to mean that a person will do anything at all to promote themselves and will not be ashamed no matter how crude and crass and rude that method might be.

This approach has never worked for me. I would be ashamed to do what some people do.

My own Rules for Shameless Self Promotion are -

I will not do anything that will make me feel ashamed.

I will not take another person's opportunity in order to advance my career.

I will not step on someone in order to rise. I would rather give someone a hand up when they are down or when they stumble, as we all do.

I will act respectfully towards those who are competing for opportunities...but I will not compete. I would rather help someone than hurt them or make them feel small.

I will be creative in finding ways to enhance and advance my career and in sharing my music with the world.

I will reach for the heart, not the cash or the glory.

I will seek and find my own place in the world of music and I will not hurt or injure anyone in the pursuit of my dreams...for this will diminish my Dream.

I will help others find, create and build their own place.

I only go places I've been invited and I stay as long as I feel safe and welcome.

I will always nurture my own career and believe in myself.


Using these methods I have moved from total obscurity to having a reasonably obvious profile online and in the music communities into which I've entered and where I play or perform. In five years I moved from unknown to fairly well known. No one was injured in this process and I have made some amazing and wonderful friends along the way while providing assistance to many.

I am seeking and building my own place in the world and do not want someone else's place.

The principle that guides me is, "Love your neighbour."

I remain unashamed. :)

1 comment: